Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Ask the Right Question

I just can't seem to get motivated to write these days - I'm not sure what it is but I'm not as interested in blogging as I used to be. Not that things aren't happening and I'm not busy - just not so intent on sharing it here.

I have had an epiphany or revelation of sorts in the last few weeks. For a long time - years? decades? - I've been in the habit of asking myself angry, rhetorical questions when I encounter something that I don't like. Why can't my wife turn off the lights when she leaves a room? Why can't other drivers use their turn signals/drive slower/turn into the correct lane? Why won't my daughter eat the lunches I make for her?

But I've been asking the wrong questions. The RIGHT question is more like "why do I react so strongly to this?" When the answer is "habit," then I have some ideas what it's really about.

It's about responding with compassion and love to situations where I habitually react with anger and judgment. It's about noticing and accepting life as it comes, rather than holding on to my attachments to false or useless beliefs. It's seeing the crumpled towel and thinking "hmm - the towel's on the floor," not getting upset because I am so attached to the belief that "the towel must be hung up when it's not being used."

It's about being present.

2 Comments:

At 11/10/2005 8:59 AM, Blogger Bill Baar said...

It's Veteran's Day tomorrow.

Thank you for your service Greg.

 
At 11/13/2005 5:39 PM, Blogger Robin Edgar said...

Sometimes the proverbial towel should be thrown in when the battle is obviously lost. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home