Thursday, September 15, 2005

One Thing at a Time

Sunday during coffee hour, a member of my congregation wanted to ask me something while I was filling out an RE registration form. I asked her to wait until I was finished with the paperwork, and she said "what's the matter, can't you multitask?"

Then the other night at our Covenant Group meeting, we talked about what fulfills us - what makes us feel like we're really expressing ourselves. I realized that being able to really do just one thing at a time - to be focused on and present to each moment, each task - is what I have found most fulfilling lately.

I love reading to my little daughter Katy, but I have found myself hurrying through the stories - as if my "goodness" as a daddy depends on how many books we can read before dinner. When I'm a REALLY good daddy, however, I relax, slow down, and really enjoy reading the story. That's all I'm doing - sitting on the couch with my daughter in my lap, reading a book. Starting off with cuddles and kisses helps me to focus.

Washing the dishes is another activity best done by itself. It's almost a cliche, actually, thanks to Thich Nhat Hanh's well-known essay on the subject. Lately I've been trying to approach the dirty sink reverently, appreciating the opportunity to clean the dishes and complete that particular cycle of life. I try to reframe it from "why can't anybody else rinse off their darn dishes!?" to "what a wonderful opportunity to care for my family." Occassionally I succeed.

I've always loved being out of doors. Nature demands my attention, and I feel present and alive when I'm out in it. During a recent mountain bike ride, I was very tired and sleepy, so I decided to stop and lie down to rest a bit. I found an enormous tree that had blown over, with a long stretch of broad trunk that was almost flat. I climbed up on it, lay down on my stomach, and relaxed.

I never quite fell asleep, but I did gradually sink into my environment. I heard insects buzzing, birds calling, squirrels chattering, leaves rustling in the breeze, and the crash of a falling branch. I felt the rough surface of the bark beneath me, and the solidness of this tree. I felt the warmth of the day and the caress of the soft air. I became part of it all for a short time, and it was good. I was present.

Doing one thing at a time can be a spiritual practice - after all, what are prayer and meditation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home