Monday, August 29, 2005

Blowing Hot Air

This morning as I was heating a drink in the break room microwave, I watched Fox "News" for a few minutes. I usually avoid watching this (or any other TV, for that matter), but the picture really caught my attention: a man in a blue raincoat in a hotel parking lot, leaning into Hurricane Katrina, valiantly speaking into the microphone as rain lashed past.

I thought "he must really have something important to say," but when I started paying attention to his words, they were more like "well, it's really coming down now - the rain and wind are getting heavier - we're all cut off from the outside - WOW a section of the hotel gutter just went flying by."

What? There is heavy rain and strong wind in a hurricane? I'm sure glad that reporter was risking his well-being and perhaps his life to bring us this news flash.

I've been through about a dozen typhoons during my four deployments to Japan. Although there is initially a certain amount of fun involved in playing outside in the big wind (hitting golf balls is a perennial favorite), it wears off pretty fast when the big rain comes - and then -

you go inside!

1 Comments:

At 9/09/2005 9:48 AM, Blogger Alva Goldbook said...

It's not a very nice thing to say, but I sometimes wish those Fox reporters would get blown away covering things like this. You can just imagine them hanging suspended in the air from the wind talking in the even "news manner" voice, "well, i'm being blown into the air now..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home