Friday, June 10, 2005

The Seinfeld Religion?

I'm not buying the elevator speech any more.

An elevator speech, as articulated by UUA President William Sinkford, is "what you'd say when you're going from the sixth floor to the lobby and somebody asks you, 'What's a Unitarian Universalist?'” No doubt there are as many elevator speeches as there are UUs.

I've revised my own elevator speech several times, and it makes sense to me and the other UUs who've heard it. However, every time I'm asked about Unitarian Universalism in an elevator setting - when put in the spot with time only for a "sound-bite" answer - I invariably stumble and stammer about 7 principles and 6 sources and community, hem and haw about Transylvania and John Murray, and trail off with a lame reference to Ralph Waldo Emerson and Susan B. Anthony.

This morning I try to explain Small Group Ministry (covenant groups) to a Protestant Christian co-worker. He asks me what the reference for such a discussion would be - the Bible, right? I ad-lib my "walking back to the elevator from the snack bar then riding to our floor and walking to our cubicles" speech. I can see his skepticism as I talk about the six sources - other than a brief flicker of interest about "...and Christian teachings..." - and his response is "so, does everyone have a copy of these?" I can see in his eyes he's thinking what's occurred to me on occasion - this "chosen faith" sounds a lot like a Religion About Nothing.

I haven't always felt this way. The first time I walked into the UU Church of the Monterey Peninsula, I saw a poster with the 7 principles. My initial reaction was "duh!" I was overjoyed to find a faith where I could satisfy my spiritual hunger without being told what to believe. It was amazing to find a group of people who seemed to view the world so much like me. I felt at home.

For the first two years after that initial encounter, I worshipped these principles. I memorized them at Leadership School and used them as a mantra for Chakra Breathing. I reflected on them and how I could live my life by them. I taught them to our K-1 RE class. But then I began to wonder - what do any of these have to do with religion? I wonder if Davidson Loehr, the minister of the First UU Church of Austin, TX, is correct about these "Seven Dwarfs." He writes

All seven principles come from the secular culture and secular values of America’s cultural liberals, whether they had a religion or not. That’s why so many visitors can recognize the principles as the sort of things they believed anyway.
Viewed from that perspective, I feel somewhat cheated. Is Unitarian Universalism just a "liberal cult," as one of the members of my congregation described his initial impression from 10 years ago? What's the point of calling it a "church" or a "religion" or a "faith" if all we worship are liberal values, and our main function is to provide a haven for recovering Catholics, Mormons, and Evangelicals? Once people who are really looking for meaning figure this out, what's keeping them around? Loehr goes on to say
I suspect it’s also why they [visitors] often leave when they realize many of the UU churches offer little beyond the ability to socialize with people who share those cultural values and vote for liberal social and political policies.
So why should I stay? I have more questions and doubts about who I am and what I believe than I did when I started. I feel uncomfortable identifying myself as a "UU." Sometimes I feel like a stranger in my own congregation. I wonder why on earth I feel this calling to what might be a "ministry about nothing."

I stay because I'm inspired by almost every UU minister I've met. I stay because I believe people hunger for a religious (gathering together) community for worship (honor that which has the shape of worth) without being bound by creed or dogma. I stay because both congregations I've been part of are vibrant, growing, and nurturing. I stay because of this call, this compulsion, to do ministry. I stay because I can work within my congregation and community to increase the amount of Love and Justice in the world. I stay because our movement is evolutionary and there is the potential for its growth and improvement. I stay because my UU experience has transformed my life, and I think I am on the cusp of even greater understanding, commitment, and yes, faith - of, toward, and about Unitarian Universalism.

Unitarian Universalism is definitely about Something, but it is impossible to convey the depth and potential of our faith in a sound bite or an elevator speech. The seemingly simple - but in reality complex - question "what's a Unitarian Universalist?" deserves a complex answer. An elevator speech or sound-bite answer may have a place in casual conversation, but if I encounter someone who really wants to know more about UU, I should be willing to take the time to develop and give a more thorough answer.

I think my new elevator speech will be something like "it's complicated. Can we find somewhere to sit down so I can take some time to explain it to you? Or maybe you'd like to come to a service with me this Sunday - here's my card."

After all, Unitarian Universalism is something to experience, not talk about.

4 Comments:

At 6/13/2005 4:45 PM, Blogger PeaceBang said...

Bravo, Greg. Keep thinking out loud.

 
At 1/13/2006 12:53 AM, Blogger Manos said...

I’m an atheist, and I must confess, I see no point for UUism. I predict that long after the UU has disappeared, dogmatic religions will be doing just fine.

 
At 1/15/2007 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You say you're an atheist.
So what? UUism welcomes you
regardless. That's why you
seem to have things backwards.

As more and more people are realizing, it's the standard dogmas and familiar orthodoxies that have failed the world, and are still doing so today.

In such a world, UUism offers hope, a new beginning - ultimately a world grounded in the spontaneous, open-ended meetings-relationships of all in mutual, interdependent freedom (like this one)as the integral and intended belonging of All in All and All as All in and as the truth of the source of all things and being.

Besides, if you grant that you did not create yourself, that you are in fact a contingent being (like everything else in the world), then your being MUST come from a
transcendent source of being of some kind...meaning that it is impossible for you to claim legitimately that you are in fact
an atheist.

In all of the above, am I right or am I wrong? I'm never quite sure. I am only sure of what I believe.

Let me know how you feel about that.

Warmest regards,

Robert robfob@verizon.net

 
At 3/03/2007 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excerpt from Benjamin Franklin's autobiography. The person he is quoting is Michael Welfare~
I imagin'd it might be well to publish the articles of their belief, and the rules of their discipline.
He said that it had been propos'd among them, but not agreed to,
for this reason: "When we were first drawn together as a society,"
says he, "it had pleased God to enlighten our minds so far as to see
that some doctrines, which we once esteemed truths, were errors;
and that others, which we had esteemed errors, were real truths.
From time to time He has been pleased to afford us farther light,
and our principles have been improving, and our errors diminishing.
Now we are not sure that we are arrived at the end of this progression,
and at the perfection of spiritual or theological knowledge;
and we fear that, if we should once print our confession of faith,
we should feel ourselves as if bound and confin'd by it, and perhaps
be unwilling to receive farther improvement, and our successors still
more so, as conceiving what we their elders and founders had done, to be
something sacred, never to be departed from."

This modesty in a sect is perhaps a singular instance in the history
of mankind, every other sect supposing itself in possession
of all truth, and that those who differ are so far in the wrong;
like a man traveling in foggy weather, those at some distance
before him on the road he sees wrapped up in the fog, as well as
those behind him, and also the people in the fields on each side,
but near him all appears clear, tho' in truth he is as much
in the fog as any of them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home