Friday, June 03, 2005

I Don't Know #$*!

At my wife's request, I recently watched "What the #$*! Do We Know!?" (aka "What the Bleep..."), a 2004 movie that combines quantum physics, new-age spirituality, and dancing peptides in a mind-blowing blend that left me wondering what is reality, what's the meaning of life, and how can I get invited to a Polish wedding?

"What the Bleep" is an entertaining movie, and it seems to offer a strong dose of quantum physics and molecular biology wrapped up with the message that YOU can choose your reality and overcome your addictions. This message is presented through a loosely constructed plot featuring Marlee Matlin, and interview snippets with various people who one presumes are experts in quantum mechanics.

Not all is as it seems, however. The identities of these "experts" are not revealed until the end, and it turns out that the two most prominent voices have nothing to do with quantum mechanics: one is "Ramtha," supposedly a 35,000 year-old "Lemurian warrior" channeled by a woman named J.Z. Knight; the other is a chiropracter who is a member of Ms. Knight's organization, the Ramtha School of Enlightenment (RSE).

In fact, many of the "experts" belong to the RSE (although some of them are in fact quantum physicists or microbiologists). This fact in itself does not necessarily diminish their credibility, but the more I read other viewpoints about the movie (and the RSE) and thought about it myself, the more the movie seemed like a thinly veiled advertisement for this organization (dare I call it a cult?). Did I mention that all three of the filmmakers as well as the man who funded the project are also disciples of Ramtha/J.Z. Knight?

I have a very open mind, and I agree with the movie's message that our attitudes make our own realities (to some degree). Although I have been told that Ms. Knight has been "studied by a team of scientists and something is really happening when she's channeling Ramtha," I find it extremely unlikely that she is the conduit for the spirit of an ancient warrior, especially given the millions of dollars she's made from this endeavor (follow the money).

Honestly, the best part of my What the Bleep experience was my "research" after seeing this film - a most interesting tour of the supernatural and skeptical on the web. I found the Randi Institute's "Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge" particularly fun, especially reading some of the applications. I recommend these for sheer entertainment value if nothing else.

But I digress. Do I recommend the movie? Very much so! It is very entertaining and thought-provoking. See it and decide for yourself, but remember (1) it's a movie; and (2) there is more to the story than they are telling. For balance, I recommend perusing the Wikipedia entry for What the Bleep before you watch it, or at least soon after. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home