Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The Crossing Guard

This morning I got to take my kids to school because my wife had an early meeting, which on the surface appears to be a good thing. It turned out to be very challenging, however, due to a son who couldn't stay focused on getting ready, a daughter who was being ugly to her friend who rides with us, and a lot of sitting in awful rush-hour traffic because the usual "back way" is closed for construction. It was difficult not to be impatient as it became obvious that my son and I would be late to school and work, respectively.

In the midst of this hour of driving, I encountered the most amazing person. When I first saw him, what leaped to mind was "great, another delay." As I slowed and then drove by him, I noticed he was not just waving me on, but waving to me; he was not just blowing his whistle, but smiling around it at me! I told my son "hey, that crossing guard was really friendly," and he replied "you're being sarcastic, right?"

I guess he knows me a little too well.

But the crossing guard was amazingly friendly - and when we drove back by him a few minutes later (in a different car) he waved, smiled, and said "good morning" (unencumbered by his whistle this time).

I feel blessed by my chance meeting with this man who could take the time to cheerfully greet people in cars - presumably people who might see him as an impediment to their busy lives - not just with a wave, but with a smile and kind words. I hope I can hold the experience in my heart and mind and remember to slow down, be aware, and acknowledge other people whenever I see them. Who knows, I might make someone's day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home